Saturday, June 04, 2011

Book 6: Old Photographs by Sherie Posesorski





Old Photographs by Sherie Posesorski. Second Story, 2010 (978-1-897187-78-4)

A book about a girl who loves Agatha Christie mysteries, how could I resist that? Sadly, the Christie theme turned out to be pretty light (though that's considerably better than getting it all wrong!) But it was an interesting story.

Phoebe is having a lonely summer. Her best friend Yuri is away, and her recently married mother expects--insists--that she live a fairy-tale life full of the "right kind" of friends. So Phoebe pretends to be off to pool parties, when really she's just biking around town and stalking the adorably nerdy Colin.

When Phoebe comes across an elderly woman having a garage sale, who seems bewildered and frightened, she feels a need to help her. Her unexpected friendship with Mrs. Tomblin will lead to a mystery to solve, a budding romance with Colin, and some important changes in her relationship with her mother, who has been trying to block all memories of her working-class past that might cast a blemish on her new wealthy life.

The mystery of who robbed Mrs. Tomblin is not particularly enthralling, but the family issues really made this book for me, as Phoebe struggles with how her mother tries to erase their past -- including Phoebe's much loved relatives. I liked the strong, athletic and warm-hearted Phoebe, who's a lot smarter than she thinks she is -- especially about what's really important to people. The mild romance and the friendship between Phoebe and Yuri are warmly drawn. Everything comes together a little too sweetly and perfectly at the end, but overall this was a pleasant book, and just a little unexpected. (12 & up)

Thanks to the publisher for providing me with a review copy.

215 pages

Reading: 1 hour, 41 minutes
Blogging: 16 minutes
Networking: 2 minutes

Labels: ,

3Bligs:

Blogger Charlotte bligged...

That does sound very pleasant! I shall add it to my list. I was thinking of throwing a Christie re-read into my mix myself, but decided I should stick to my guns and work on my pile...

6/04/2011 5:37 PM  
Blogger web bligged...

I may pick one for the exhausted wee hours... nothing like a Christie you've read 100 times already.

6/04/2011 6:31 PM  
Anonymous Jenna bligged...

Such a great article which The mystery of who robbed Mrs. Tomblin is not particularly enthralling, but the family issues really made this book for me, as Phoebe struggles with how her mother tries to erase their past including Phoebe's much loved relatives. In which The mild romance and the friendship between Phoebe and Yuri are warmly drawn. Thanks for sharing this article.

2/26/2012 9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home