Monday, January 22, 2007

classic children's books questions #2

Did Mary marry Colin or Dickon? (Or somebody else? Or nobody?)

I don't recall considering this question as a child; in fact I walked out on the critically acclaimed 1990's movie version because I was so disgusted by the jealous-love-triangle aspect that was inserted into it. If they had placed it before Colin enters the garden, that just might have worked... but after? Nothing bad happens after!

However, the responses to this blog post by a romance author make it clear that many people--at least people who went on to become romance readers--do have strong opinions on the matter.

(Dickon.)

6Bligs:

Anonymous Anonymous bligged...

Somebody else.

I don't think Dickon because of the class thing, which was still pretty big then. I just don't see romance between Colin and Mary, who are both very selfish. Yes, the garden helps with that, but I think they would have a tough time as mates. But maybe Dickon and Mary could have a passionate affair.

Wasn't there an English series with a big house and a girl who marries her cousin who turns out to be a bit of a loser, and the girl has to take over the house during World War I and then she marries the local farmer boy, and then in a later book that marriage splits up? I think I saw a TV series based on it on PBS but the books (which I found later) were better. I can't remember the name or author so I hope someone else can.

I'm glad to find your blog -- I used to win pencils in your newsletter.

1/24/2007 11:18 PM  
Blogger web bligged...

Hi! I remember you!

You're thinking of the Flambards series by K.M. Peyton. He wasn't a loser though, just died young in the war.

1/25/2007 7:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous bligged...

Yes, Flambards. I thought that there was more disillusionment before he died in the war, but I may be combining it with another book. Flambards was the first Peyton I read, and I enjoyed most of her work.

I knew you'd know it!

1/25/2007 9:48 PM  
Blogger Lady S. bligged...

Concerning the Flambards question:
disillusionment might not be quite the right word, but Will - well, you could say he was in love with flying as well as with Christina, maybe? He was lovely, but not as whole-heartedly devoted to Christina as she might have wanted, iirc.

I'd never thought to put the two books together, but I wonder now if a Mary/Dickon marriage would have ended up the way the Christina/Dick one did? (In Flambards Divided, which I only discovered as an adult - such a shock! - not in the original trilogy.) In fact, I wonder if there's an intentional hint at The Secret Garden... Mary and Christina are both tough, stubborn, more than a bit selfish, orphans going to live with cousins. Dick/Dickon...

I wonder if I should have more tea before wittering on on other people's blogs...

1/25/2007 11:42 PM  
Blogger web bligged...

I think you just gave me question #3...

1/26/2007 9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous bligged...

Christina and Will were still happily married when he was killed at the start of the third Flambards book. She'd always known that she would have to share him with his love of flying, so I don't think there was any disillusionment. It was Dick who turned out to be a loser in the fourth book, though I guess you could say he was sacrificed to make Mark look good to Christina!

2/17/2007 6:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home