Saturday, January 13, 2007

classic children's books questions #1

I'm reading a book in which napoleon pastries feature--and oh does that make me miss Manhattan, I haven't had a real napoleon in 30 years--and it reminded me that that was always how I envisioned Turkish delight when I read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

(Evan and I, who have both tried the stuff, had a conversation a while back about what the modern, North American candy equivalent of Turkish delight would be; I think we decided on wax lips.)

So: how did you envision Turkish delight?

6Bligs:

Blogger Nancy bligged...

I think I pictured something like Tiramisu, oddly enough.

1/13/2007 5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous bligged...

English toffee, I was sure. It made perfect sense to me--especially since I love toffee.

1/13/2007 10:23 PM  
Blogger Mary Lee bligged...

For me, it was like divinity, that white, fluffy, nutty substance my mom used to make at Christmas time.

1/14/2007 7:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous bligged...

Like Laurie, I always pictured a light sort of toffee. Only better, maybe softer and more buttery.

1/14/2007 4:20 PM  
Blogger Evan bligged...

It was divinity for me too, and boy howdy was I ever disappointed when I tasted the real thing. If Turkish people find that stuff delightful, they've either been tragically deprived or they've got no taste.

1/15/2007 12:50 AM  
Blogger Camille bligged...

I imagined it like salt water taffey. When I did taste Turkish delight I was very struck by the essence of roses.

1/30/2007 12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home