Saturday, June 05, 2010

Book 10: Get Real by Betty Hicks

Get Real by Betty Hicks

I think I may be too tired to properly articulate what I thought of this one. I'm not sure I can even think it through.

I like the voice of the narrator, Dez; she's not always the most likable person in the world, but she seems very much herself. She's an unapologetic neatfreak living in a painfully disorganized world.

What bothered me was the plot; the way the author got from point A to point B was just... weird. Thought perhaps the 10+ books in 2 days factor is affecting my perspective. But the events Hicks chose to make her points were not convincing.

I also disliked Dez's best friend, Jil, who seems incredibly selfish and self-absorbed. I wasn't sure how I was supposed to feel about her, honestly, but she's a major character and presumably intended to be at least somewhat sympathetic.

So kind of divided on this one. I did enjoy reading it and might recommend it to someone looking for a friendship story with a touch of wacky suburban adventure.

184 pages
Reading: 1 hour, 8 minutes
Blogging: 14 minutes

Labels: , ,