Sunday, June 07, 2009

48 Hrs - I Be Done

My Finish Line Post.

I am So. Tired. Too tired even to check over my math, though I keep wishing I could make it come in over 29 hours, since everyone seemed to do 29 hours. Possibly everyone else is rounding. Can I round?

Anyway, the final results are:

Reading: 25 hours, 14 minutes
Blogging: 2 hours, 44 minutes
Reading Blogs/Commenting: 53 minutes

For a grand total of: 28 hours, 51 minutes. I think. I'm really, really tired. Did I mention I was tired?

Oh, I forgot to say how many books. Uh, I didn't keep track. I think it was 7 complete books, most of an 8th I had already started, a portion of a 9th I didn't get to finish, and about 2 pages of one that I didn't get into. Okay, I checked and that's right.

So what did you learn, Dorothy? Well, this year was the most fun ever. I've never had such a good time getting funky and exhausted--at least, not all by myself. Really making it a priority made it a much more powerful experience. The community aspect was very refreshing, too. It felt great to hear from other people who were going through this same peculiar experience.

I spent much less time blogging this year--previously, I think I wrote about as much as I read. That was fine...I wrote when I felt like it, didn't when I didn't. It was nice to just go with the flow. But also good to really focus on the reading. I'm very pleased that not only was this a personal best, but I read, just read, for over 24 of the hours. Half of the challenge.

Just some random thoughts on the books I didn't mention before:

1) There was a typo in David Inside Out that gave me the impression the author had originally written it in the third person and then changed it. I have nothing meaningful to say about that, I just thought it was interesting. I think it probably worked better in the first person than it would have in the third, though just guessing, of course.

2) SPOILER for How to Ditch Your Fairy - is it just me, or was that ending kind of whack? I mean, she realized it was no fun to have a boy like you when it was your fairy making him a zombie love slave. But she's perfectly fine with having a fairy that makes her better in sports? I suppose since it's generally accepted that all the most talented people in her society have fairies making it happen for them, it wouldn't occur to most people to question it. But it seems bizarre, in context.

Oh, I also forgot to say which book I'd liked the best. The Disreputable History of Frankie Landua-Banks was unquestionably the star act. Fantastic book. I pretty much enjoyed everything I read, except for a good portion of The Awakening.

So, I am done. My thanks to my wonderful husband, who put up with this, and my fabulous son, who only startled me out of my skin by yelling "Boo!" while I was reading a couple of times.

Labels:

9Bligs:

Blogger Beth bligged...

Congratulations! I couldn't even get my reading time over 24 hours, but too many late nights early in the week doomed me.

6/07/2009 8:46 PM  
Blogger MotherReader bligged...

I officially give you permission to round. Great reading and I'm glad you had fun!

6/07/2009 8:52 PM  
Blogger web bligged...

Bless you, Most Kind and Gracious Adminstrator!

6/07/2009 9:01 PM  
Blogger Jen Robinson bligged...

I actually only rounded up by 1 minute to get to 29 hours. But I think it's neat that we ended up with the same amount. I guess if you really don't do much else, but you sleep for 8 hours a night, and eat once in a while, that's around where it works out. Even though I spent more time, I found this year more restful, for some reason. I kind of felt like I should have been commenting more, but the amount of time that I did spend was sufficient for recharging.

Anyway, it's been fun!

6/07/2009 9:40 PM  
Blogger Andromeda Jazmon bligged...

Wow you did great!! I am impressed. I did only 4 books in 18.5 hours. I rounded to the nearest 15 minutes cause I am not good at math. Catch up on your sleep!

6/08/2009 3:47 AM  
Anonymous Sonderbooks bligged...

I read How to Ditch Your Fairy, too, and wasn't bugged by the ending fairy. She was so short, it must be interesting to watch her! Yeah, that definitely brings up interesting repercussions. What's the fun of being good at a sport if it's not your own work that does it? Like if someone had a fairy to always bowl strikes, they probably would get tired of bowling very quickly. My son asked what happens if she plays against someone who has an Always-makes-their-shots fairy.
I think I'd reconcile it as you suggest -- that everyone who makes it in sports in their world seems to have a fairy that helps. Part of the game there? But I like what you say about it. Good point.

6/08/2009 8:09 AM  
Blogger web bligged...

Sonderbooks, that would have been a really fun conflict to explore in the book! When two opposite fairies collide. Maybe she'll do a sequel. :-)

6/08/2009 10:08 AM  
Blogger Jodie bligged...

Yep noticed the typo but didn't think he'd changed the tense of the entire book. It would be interesting to hear if he did, but like you I think it works better in first person.

6/06/2010 2:22 PM  
Blogger Mystee bligged...

Sounds like you read some really great books...I'll be adding to my to read list

6/06/2010 3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home