Friday, April 13, 2007

Poetry Friday: Inch by Inch

Spring, beautiful spring...


Inch By Inch: The Garden Song by David Mallett. Illustrated by Ora
Eitan. HarperCollins, 1995 (0-06-024303-1); HarperTrophy, 1997
(0-06443481-8) $5.95 pb

A small but stalwart gardener delightfully personifies the themes of this homage to gardening, taken from Mallet's classic folk song. With a little attention to the rhythm, it's almost as much fun to read as it is to sing (although I prefer the slightly altered version Arlo Guthrie performs); the music is also included. Boldly splashed with color, Eitan's pictures interpret the intimate, uplifting lyrics with imagination and verve, illustrating "Mother Earth will make you strong if you give her love and care," with a picture of the boy tugging a radish six times his size out of the ground; "In my garden I'm as free as that feathered thief up there" shows him and his faithful dog sliding down a rainbow. Gardeners of every age will love this. (3 & up)

Labels: ,

2Bligs:

Blogger Beth bligged...

I really liked this book as well, although usually I shy away from song stories. My kids hate my singing :-).

4/13/2007 8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous bligged...

This looks like a fun addition to my collection.

4/15/2007 7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home