Sunday, February 04, 2007

kiss me, I work at the library

February is Library Lovers Month, at least in some states. Celebrate by.... I dunno, checking out some books?

There are many things I love about working at a library, chief among them that it is not remotely morally ambiguous. Especially my library, which is notably pro-privacy and anti-censorship. Okay, I'm not fond of the summer reading rewards program, but that's the worst I can say about it.

But today's Offical Favorite Part of Working at the Library is: I get to see kids checking books out. All kinds of books, awesome books, the books we love to talk about in the kidlitosphere. We hear so much horrible news about kids not reading, or boys not reading or girls only reading Gossip Girls books. Maybe not as many are reading as we would wish for... but reading is still going on.

7Bligs:

Blogger Mary Lee bligged...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, "HOORAY FOR LIBRARIES!" Not only do you do a great job all on your own, you help teachers bring books into the hands of readers without us having to OWN every book we use!

Thank you, thank you, thank you libraries and librarians!

2/05/2007 6:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous bligged...

I second Mary Lee! Hooray for libraries! I would be utterly and completely lost without them. Everywhere I've ever lived, the first thing I do is find out where the library is, and get a library card.

2/05/2007 1:22 PM  
Blogger MotherReader bligged...

Yeah for libraries! Yeah for library workers!

2/05/2007 6:46 PM  
Blogger Elaine Magliaro bligged...

I really enjoyed teaching in an elementary classroom for more than 30 years--but I absolutely loved working as a librarian! It was a dream job at a school where all the teachers used literature across the curriculum and were always interested in learning about and discussing new books that were purchased for the library--and where the library assistant was a children's literature expert. It was a school whose PTO donated $2,000 to the library every year for the purchase of books.

So...hooray for librarians and library assistants! And hooray for teachers and parents who support librarians and encourage their students and children to read books.

2/06/2007 7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous bligged...

I remembered this post when I visited my local library (in Australia). They have a "love your librarian" Valentine's Day exhibit up, complete with books starring librarians :)

2/08/2007 5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous bligged...

It is such a joy to see kids checking out books. I really love my job as a librarian as well.

2/09/2007 7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous bligged...

Well said.

11/10/2008 8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home