Sunday, January 28, 2007

new list - our favorite tough, selfish, mean, even downright rotten kids!

Lady Schrapnell from So Many Books... and I are compiling a list of sometimes-hard-to-like-yet-somehow-still-loveable protagonists from children's books. Add your favorites! We are still working on the best name for the list, if you have a suggestion. I sort of like the classic simplicity of "Rotten Kids."

Girls
Mary - The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett - the first and best?
Dairine - "Young Wizards" series by Diane Duane
Eliza - Knight's Castle by Edward Eager
Harriet - Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh
Belinda - Miss Happiness and Miss Flower; Little Plum by Rumer Godden
Rose - Permanent Rose by Hilary McKay
Christina - Flambards series by K.M. Peyton
Turtle - The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin
Maggie - Getting Something on Maggie Marmelstein by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat
Veronica Ganz - Veronica Ganz and others by Marilyn Sachs
Fran Ellen - The Bears' House by Marilyn Sachs
Nicole - A Pocket Full of Seeds by Marilyn Sachs
April - The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder
Amanda - The Headless Cupid by Zilpha Keatley Snyder
Jessica - The Witches of Worm by Zilpha Keatley Snyder
Jane - The Painted Garden by Noel Streatfield - a very direct descendent of Mary!
Nicky - Tennis Shoes by Noel Streatfeild
Dicey - Tillerman series by Cynthia Voigt


Boys
Artemis - "Artemis Fowl" series by Eoin Colfer.
Edmund -The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Bradley - There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom by Louis Sachar
Christopher - The Lives of christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones

6Bligs:

Blogger Lady S. bligged...

Jane Winter - The Painted Garden by Noel Streatfeild

What do you think about Christopher in The Lives of Christopher Chant? He's a little bit on the obnoxious side, though maybe he has too much reason for it to count? And just about everyone in Witch Week for that matter, though I'm not sure about the 'still lovable' for them.

1/29/2007 3:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous bligged...

I'm sure I'm missing some obvious characters but suggest Dairine from Diane Duane's wizard series (the early books at least). Following the lead of Lady S with Streatfeild, Nicky from Tennis Shoes was a bit of a rotter.

1/29/2007 2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous bligged...

Oh, I love this list! I would add Edmund from The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and Artemis Fowl. I'm sure I'll think of more when I've had a chance to sleep on it...

1/29/2007 10:40 PM  
Blogger web bligged...

Hmmm - if we include Edmund, should we also include Eustace?

I just looked up Artemis Fowl on wikipedia and I think I wanna read that!

1/30/2007 12:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous bligged...

Sorry, should have clarified, Nicky is a girl. Hmmm, the boys list is significantly shorter, isn't it?

1/30/2007 1:13 AM  
Blogger web bligged...

That was actually my first guess; I never liked TS, but I must have subconsciously remembered.

We started off on girls; I should put some more thought into boys.

1/30/2007 11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home