Thursday, October 19, 2006

poetry friday

In honor of the new CYBIL awards--and let's all be sure to pronounce that cy as in cyberspace--and my (hopefully) being on the poetry committee, here is my favorite poem of the year. (Actually, last year. Close enough.)


Are You a Book Person?

A good book is a kind
Of person with a mind
Of her own,
Who lives alone,
Standing on a shelf
By herself.
She has a spine,
A heart, a soul,
And a goal--
To capture, to amuse,
To light a fire
(You're the fuse),
Or else, joyfully,
Just to be.
From beginning
To end,
Need a friend?

(You can find my review of the book it's from
here.)

5Bligs:

Blogger Mary Lee bligged...

Great poem! I love J. Patrick Lewis!

10/20/2006 4:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous bligged...

You ARE on the poetry committee, your honor. Get out your gavel; put on the robes!

10/20/2006 6:46 AM  
Blogger MotherReader bligged...

You know, I'm not much of a poetry fan, but I really liked that choice. Thanks for sharing it.

10/20/2006 7:17 AM  
Blogger web bligged...

Woo hoo! I look great in black.

10/20/2006 12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous bligged...

Very cool! What is it about people who love books that we love reading about the sheer love of books?

10/22/2006 12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home