Tuesday, October 17, 2006

slow down... you move too fast!

(A day late for Smart Bitches Day but no matter.)

I don't usually read contemporary romances, but Jennifer Crusie wrote such intelligent essays about Buffy, I thought I should give her a try. So I'm reading Bet Me and quite enjoying it, but ohmigod, the PACE. Rat-a-tat-tat, rat-a-tat-tat, reading it is like watching an episode of "Sex and the City" on speed.

I often see people complain about the slow pace of historical novels; I guess this is the other side of that coin. Strange, because you'd think with reading you could control the pace more... read more slowly or stop or something. I actually have to take frequent breaks reading this book, but still it's almost too much for me. Is this because I read Jane Austen and don't watch much t.v.? If I keep reading Crusie, will I become one of those people who can't read Georgette Heyer?