Monday, April 10, 2006

the bunnyplanet voyages elsewhere

The Cricket in Times Square is the second winner of my son's highest accolade, the "I Wish I Could Live in That Book" Award. I'm thinking of making embossed award stickers for the publishers.

So... is there a book you would like to live in? Or at least visit? Evan came across this topic in a blog some years back and one of the answers given there was Voyage from Yesteryear, which inspired me to read it--and indeed, it would be a lovely book to live in, though it's not a children's book. To live in a world where everyone can make full use of their talents would be amazing.

Among children's books, I think I would want to live with the Melendys. Kick out that foster kid from And Then There Were Five, I need them more than he does! Of course, transplanting my husband and son into the story along with me might be difficult. This would likely be a problem with any children's book, come to think of it; we would wind up being the kindly adults who bake the cookies, not the kids who have the adventures, and frankly, that's too much like life is now. Okay, we're back on for Voyage from Yesteryear! Tickets can be found inside The Amazing Stereoscope by Jane Langton; xerox, please.

5Bligs:

Anonymous Anonymous bligged...

I always wanted to live in Gone Away Lake. But living with the Melendy family wouldn't be bad either. And I have to say that summering at Arundel Hall with the Penderwicks would be a lot of fun, too. I love the idea of a sticker to mark books you would like to live in. Thanks to you and your son for a cool idea. I think an interesting counterpoint would be books that you would NOT want to live in. Like, say, Holes.

4/16/2006 3:02 PM  
Blogger web bligged...

I have got to read the Penderwicks! I think I'm afraid to because I have such high hopes that it's almost bound to fall short.

Books I wouldn't want to live in... that could fill a few pages!

4/16/2006 6:35 PM  
Blogger Louise bligged...

What a fun idea. Two stories come to mind for me. But both would be "where I'd have wanted to live when I was a kid."

1. Always wanted to live in Narnia. I even drew a play map of what I thought Narnia would look like. Those would be fun books to live in - especially in the Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

2. The Girl who owned a City by O.T. Nelson. It's one of the only books I had to read for elementary school that I remember really clearly. And I really liked it. Really briefly - everyone in the world over the age of 12 is wiped out by some sort of plague and kids have to fend for themselves. The main character organizes stuff so all the kids on her street have food, toys etc... and can survive. What kid doesn't want to live without parents for a while and run things themselves?

4/19/2006 7:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous bligged...

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for visiting my site (and for the link in your sidebar). Glad that you like the boarding school twist on your original idea. I haven't heard of Apples Every Day. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Have a great week!

4/23/2006 9:31 PM  
Blogger Nancy bligged...

Hi there. Found this post from Motherreader.

I think I'd love to live for a while in "From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler" The whole life in an empty museum adventure still seems very cool to me, even 28 years after I first read the book.

1/11/2007 8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home