Saturday, June 05, 2010

Book 9: The London Eye Mystery

The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd.

This was recommended to me by my mother, and knowing her, I'm guessing she loved it for its Britishisms. Not just the setting with the London Eye, a sort of extra-big, extra-long ferris wheel, but all the phrases: "Bunk off." "Skivving." Shreddies for breakfast! This book can't possibly be as fun to read if you're actually from England.

I confess my first thought when she told me it was about a boy with Asperger's Syndrome who solves a mystery was "oh, not another one." But the story worked--I think because it's so much in the classic mode of a children's story. There genuinely is a mystery to solve, and our hero Ted does it with the help of his older sister, which has an impact on their difficult relationship reminiscent of the brother and sister in From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L Konigsburg. And he finds a way around the fact that no one will listen to him, as all misunderstood heroes must.

As a portrayal of someone with Asperger's (never labelled, but it's pretty obvious), I don't know if this was all that great. But it certainly was an interesting mystery and family story. (9 & up)


323 pages
Reading: 1 hour, 53 minutes
Blogging: 14 minutes

Labels: , ,

2Bligs:

Anonymous beth bligged...

I read all of Marden's "Tomorrow When the War Began" books, and the Australianisms were a constant delight.

6/06/2010 12:06 AM  
Blogger web bligged...

I remember being irked by the ones in How to Ditch Your Fairy, but loving the all-sports/all-the-time school that completely controlled the student's lives. It was so Billy Bunter!

6/06/2010 12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home