Saturday, June 06, 2009

48 Hrs - How to Ditch Your Fairy

I didn't enjoy this one as much as I hoped I would. The premise is fun, though rather different from what I'd gathered from reviews. I thought it was about an alternate universe in which everyone has a fairy, but in fact, no one really knows if they do for sure or not and some people don't even believe in them. Anyway, what kind of killed it for me was the slang. I am highly allergic to first-person narratives with heavy repetitions of the same slang. Even if it's new, weird slang or maybe Australian slang.

I think I most enjoyed the narrator's horrible school, because she unquestioningly adores it and because everything she does in it is related to sports. History homework is about sports history, statistics homework is about sports statistics... it's like Miss Pym Disposes gone completely mad.

Do you have a fairy? My husband used to have a cat-loving fairy. Strange cats would literally follow him places and wait hours for him to come back out. It was replaced, handily enough, by a can't-get-laid-off fairy. I have an exact measurements fairy. It is vaguely useful, albeit unexciting.

Why yes I am a bit punchy, why do you ask?


R: 1 hour, 54 minutes
B: 10 minutes
RB: 3 minutes

Labels: ,

6Bligs:

Blogger Carol H Rasco bligged...

I am thoroughly enjoying your posts...thanks!

6/06/2009 7:33 PM  
Blogger web bligged...

Thank you! I'm happy if I manage to entertain someone besides myself. ;-)

6/06/2009 10:13 PM  
Blogger Saints and Spinners bligged...

I too enjoyed the premise more than the follow-through. My favorite part was the glossary of fairies in the back, including the story idea fairy. If I have a fairy akin to the kind in this book's universe, I think it would be a gift-giving fairy. I've got a knack for consistently finding the right gifts for people. If only that gift-giving fairy were paired with an independently wealthy fairy, I'd be set. :)

6/06/2009 11:17 PM  
Blogger web bligged...

A gift-giving fairy sounds far more useful than mine. I think I have the opposite of that one.

6/06/2009 11:48 PM  
Blogger Lady S. bligged...

Interesting - kept seeing great reviews of this one and kept not being that enthused by them. I'm not sure from your review whether I'm more inclined to try it or not. What you say about the school sounds fun though.

6/07/2009 2:18 AM  
Blogger Charlotte bligged...

Yes, that school--that horrible, horrible school!

6/07/2009 10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home