Saturday, June 09, 2007

Book Four: Born on a Blue Day by Daniel Tammet

226 pages. reading and writing: 2 hours

Born on a Blue Day by Daniel Tammet. Simon & Schuster, 2007 (9778-1-4165-3507-2) $24.00

I think I'm going to have to buy this book, to ensure that it's available when my son is old enough to read it. A memoir by a man with savant syndrome, it is also (and more importantly from my point of view) a story about a person with high functioning autism who survives and thrives, finding meaningful work, friendship and love. The sections on what it's like to have synesthesia, and Tammet's relationship with numbers and words are interesting glimpses into an unusual brain; I loved his description of why certain sections of the decimal represention Pi are beautiful to him. It makes the fact that he broke a record by learning Pi to over 22,000 places meaningful instead of pointless.

***

I'm going to be out of town for most of today, but am hoping I will get one more book in before my 48 hours are up.

Labels: , ,

2Bligs:

Blogger MotherReader bligged...

Wow. I am totally reading the same book. I'm taking a few minutes break to check up on my peeps, but I'm halfway through it now. It's so interesting.

6/09/2007 5:40 PM  
Blogger web bligged...

coo'!

6/09/2007 9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home