Wednesday, February 21, 2007

scrotuming on

Franki at "A Year of Reading" wrote, in a very positive review of The Higher Power of Lucky: "It is too bad that so many children could miss out on this book because of the decision of a few librarians."

This is not at all a criticism of Franki's comment, which I agree with as thoroughly as I can without having read the book myself, but I keep thinking about the fact that the Newbery Medal is an award chosen by librarians. The very profession which is under fire now for censoring it. Considering that this book appears to have gotten little notice before the award, I would bet that its level of exposure and purchase comes out ahead. Just something to think about.

(While on the topic, I also enjoyed Mary Lee's Teaching is not for sissies rant at the same site.)