Friday, January 05, 2007

poetry friday: My son's very first Rosemary Wells

Yes, he got hooked very early and I admit it--I was his pusher.



My Very First Mother Goose edited by Iona Opie. Illustrated by Rosemary Wells. Candlewick, 1996 (1-56402-620-5) $19.99

Intended for the youngest listeners, this big, bountiful collection of Mother Goose rhymes expresses the coziest, silliest and most joyous elements of the verses. Well's very child-friendly illustrations, which incorporate traditional Mother Goose images with her own lovable animal characters, are ideal for this purpose: in her vision, Jack has a somewhat bemused smile after his tumble down the hill, and Humpty Dumpty is just an egg accidentally-on-purpose knocked off the table by a mischievous bunny. Even the little mouse frightened under the queen's chair is defiantly sticking out his tongue at the cat. An uncluttered design, with a large typeface, reinforces the purpose of the book--this is no excuse for an artist to show off, this is the real thing, meant for real kids. * (6 months & up)

2Bligs:

Blogger Elaine Magliaro bligged...

I just wanted to let you know, I've included your Poetry Friday post in the roundup at Blue Rose Girls.

1/06/2007 7:36 AM  
Blogger web bligged...

I saw, but thanks for the notice. :-)

1/06/2007 1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home