Thursday, November 06, 2008

no longer a card-carrying member

I was at a used bookstore today and noticed a huge influx of Orson Scott Card books on the "just in" racks. Might be coincidence, but I wonder if someone else, or several someones, felt the same horror I felt when realizing that much of the money flooding California in support of Proposition 8 was coming from Mormons in Utah, supported by Card. As a friend of mine commented after the California results were in, "The people of Utah have spoken."

How the author of such humane and life-affirming books as Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus can take such a position baffles and enrages me. That was a book I used to turn to when I needed a way to feel good about the world. I can't even imagine this house without a copy of Ender's Game in it, yet I don't know if I'll ever again be capable of separating his views from his works. Damn it.

Labels: ,

4Bligs:

Blogger rathacat bligged...

As someone who voted against Prop. 8 in California,and someone who met Card at various conventions and has enjoyed some of his books, I am dismayed that he has taken such a homophobic stance. I also think the Mormon church has no business interfering in California, and should have its California tax-exempt status revoked. I also hope that Card's book sales decline as a result of his position. I am certainly not going to buy any more of his works. Thanks for posting about this issue.

11/15/2008 6:26 PM  
Blogger rathacat bligged...

MoveOn.org is leading an attempt to overturn Prop 8, if you are interested. I signed their petition.

11/15/2008 6:27 PM  
Blogger web bligged...

Thanks for the info. I have signed, and was also protesting today with my family. :-)

11/15/2008 8:40 PM  
Blogger ElsKushner bligged...

I remember being similarly distressed to learn about Roald Dahl's antisemitism. And he was safely dead by the time I heard about it; he hadn't even just donated money to a cause that hurt me and people I love. Rats. I hadn't even thought about this whole mess in relation to Ender's Game, which I too love. Professionally, of course I'll recommend it to kids looking for science fiction. But personally... it's hard to see buying any of Card's books again for myself.

11/21/2008 3:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home