Friday, January 26, 2007

questions from classic children's books #3

Dense or fluffy?

No wait, that is questions from classic Jewish cuisine.

Okay. Flambards Divided--horrible mistake or tragic error?

Or I suppose you could argue that it should have ended up that way. If you really want to.

Another question: did Peyton intend to end the series that way originally or did her thinking change over time? I wonder if we could dig up the answer to that.

This question was inspired by the reponse to classic children's book questions #2

4Bligs:

Blogger Lady S. bligged...

Ooh - what a question (or two questions)! If there's any chance of finding out - well, maybe we should just ask her!

I'm going to throw out first thoughts and keep simmering a bit more. I was really horrified when I first read Flambards Divided, especially with what she did to Dick! He was always my favourite of the guys, far more than Will, while I loathed Mark, for his arrogance and violence. But even when I'd only read the trilogy (and reread the third one many times), I was always impressed at the way Peyton managed to make me feel for types of people I really have little sympathy for. Specifically I don't have any time for that excitement-craving personality which leads to bravery/recklessness/sometimes cruelty. And all of them have it, I think: Christina, Mark, even Will (without the cruelty), except Dick.

So in a way, it made a kind of weird sense that Christina and Mark really are the couple who fit together, especially given the fact that Dick and Christina were trying to live together in too small and traditional a community. Love conquering all is a lovely, romantic idea which I appreciate immensely, but social forces are pretty potent too sometimes, unfortunately. Haven't read the piano-player books, but isn't he also rather selfish/ruthless, with less than happily-ever-after romance? I'm just wondering if that was in Peyton's mind when she thought of revisiting Flambards to unravel everything.

Oh my, though - the scene in which Christina miscarries... So painful.

Very pleased to have given you a third question! Will probably link this to on So Many Books, though don't know if I'll get anyone else over there who hasn't seen this.

1/26/2007 11:28 AM  
Blogger web bligged...

Pennington, the piano player, is indeed like that - you can find more on him in the discussion I link to in the post right after this.

Links always appreciated. :-)

1/26/2007 11:32 AM  
Blogger Lady S. bligged...

Done! :) And will check out the link next.

1/26/2007 12:00 PM  
Blogger Lady S. bligged...

I voted we run the 'Tough Girls/Kids' list here (posting as you won't get notification of the reply on my blog presumably). Though 'tough' might be a bit misleading, mightn't it? Sounds as if it's just 'feisty' or 'strong'. But 'Mean Girls' is worse. 'On the Selfish Side, Can Be Nasty, but Still (Just About) Likable' or OtSSCBNbS(JA)L for -- uh, short, maybe? :)

1/28/2007 5:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home