Tuesday, May 16, 2006

chat about Gossamer (possible spoilers)

I referred to it only obliquely in my review, but there were some aspects of Gossamer I found disappointing, and talking it over with Evan, he felt the same way. We both found the climax a bit of a letdown; as he put it, "It seemed to be building up to be about a war, and turned out to be about a battle."

That was what held me back from giving it a starred review, beautiful though I found it.

Anyone else feel this way or have something to add?

4Bligs:

Blogger MotherReader bligged...

I see what you mean about the end, but I preferred that it led up to a battle rather than a war. For me, it emphasized how most of life is more about the daily (or nightly) battles. We never truly win the war, we just fight different enemies - anger, doubt, insecurity - at different times. An abused child - or anyone with bad memories for that matter - will find a long journey to achieving peace. I am just glad that he will have a dream-giver at his side to help him.

5/17/2006 9:24 AM  
Blogger Teresa bligged...

I can't decide whether I like the book or not. I am torn about the dream-givers (and Sinisteeds?) knowing that they are imaginary. Obviously they are imagined by Lois Lowry and others couldn't be aware of them until reading the book. But I willingly suspended disbelief and lived in the world where small creatures were specifically assigned to human (and pet) characters, but yet not really. It makes for an interesting discussion about the power of story and dreams in our lives (and keeping objects around that we associate with happy memories) but I felt it ripped me from the story. I guess startled me awake, would be the best way to put it, and not in a happy memory sort of way.

5/20/2006 7:39 PM  
Blogger web bligged...

I thought that part was cool, but I can see the other point of view. I was never one of those kids who got mad about fantasy books when the magic ended, either.

5/20/2006 7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous bligged...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11/28/2006 3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home